DCC website



This page tabulates the known names of mines and when they are first mentioned. An attempt has also been made to give the origin of names when known. The more obvious derivations have been left out.

CURRENT Derivation of current name 1923-Dewey 1919-Russell 1911-Prospectus 1857-77
West Mine Historical name and location West Mine Western Mine Big Tunnel ?West Stope
New Venture Mine Historical name New Venture Mine   New Venture Mine  
Wood Mine Location in Windmill Wood Wood Mine * Wood Mine Wood Tunnel The Windmill
Engine Vein Historical name Engine Vein * Engine Vein Engine Vein Engine Vein
Hough Level Historical name. A 'hough' is a ridge or spur such as Glaze Hill.   Hough Level Yard Tunnel ?Oakes Level
Brynlow (or Brynlow) Mine Locality name: Brynlow Dell     ancient level Ancient Workings
Stormy Point Historical name of the feature   * "old Roman workings"    
Pillar Mine The mine had a pillar at the entrance until vandalised in the 1970s
CCH Alternate name for Pillar Mine allegedly standing for 'Campers Cave of Happiness'!
Doc Mine Named after Alistair 'Doc' Mycroft who was a well-known visitor of the 1950s.  Mycroft was a key figure in the 'Northern Caving Club'.  Also known at one time as Chocolate or 'Choc Choc' Mine.
Square Shaft and Round Shaft Derived from their shapes and used to distinguish these shafts at opposite ends of the Opencast Workings between Engine Vein and Stormy Point.
Balloon Shaft A shaft at Engine Vein, the height of which was measured using a helium filled balloon.
Bear Pit Origin unknown but probably derives from the early twentieth century when the shaft was partly filled.
Pot Shaft Where a pot of Roman coins was found
Cobalt Mine Workings at the Wizard which are believed to have been a cobalt mine worked in the early 19th century
Tom's Shaft Entrance to the Cobalt Mine named after Tom Fowden
Car Shaft Shaft at Brynlow from which the body of an old car (a Ford?) was removed during digging
NORWEB Shaft Shaft at Brynlow found accidentally by NORWEB contractors when digging a trench at Brynlow
Cross Mine Cross shaped when viewed in plan.
Straight Mine Straight for 100 metres.
Field Shaft Located in field!
Stump Shaft Contained a beech tree stump when first dug
Probationers' Series Named after two probationary members of the DCC who spent 24 hours in this section of the mines
Scout Mine Entrance starts on the Scout property
Reeking Mine When first explored in 1972, it was full of very smelly mud.  Named by the DCC.
Twin Shafts A name used by Geoffrey Warrington and others.  On extending Reeking Mine we found that there are indeed two inclined shafts side by side.

* These formed the "Eastern Mine". In the 19th century, it is likely that the mines were referred to as the "Western Mine" (West Mine) and the "Eastern Mine" (the remainder).

A fuller list of names and their derivations can be viewed as a PDF document by clicking HERE.